Thursday, December 9, 2010

Final Meeting with Professor Dolson...on to the Writing Center!

I have to say, the last day of class really got me excited for working in the center, and not only for the money! lol. With the work that we have done through our Boys and Girls Club experiences and also in shadowing I have come to really enjoy consulting students on their writing assignments. As I talked with Professor Dolson about the classmate consultation project and also the course in general, I began to really see how far we have come and how prepared we are for our work in the center. All the readings and class discussions all work towards an understanding of the true role of the consultant; to facilitate and encourage the writer's own thoughts as opposed to merely telling them what to write. It is about understanding the ways in which rhetoric can influence an audience and helping writers to see their own writings in this way. While it might seem selfish, I am excited to see how my own writing continues to grow and mature. Already I can see a difference in my style of writing as well as how I approach assignments in general. I really have found the importance of starting my work as early as possible so that I can have ample time for re-thinking and re-working. I know that my experiences in the writing center will only further my understanding and for this I am very excited.

No comments:

Post a Comment