Tuesday, October 5, 2010

Rives' Videos...only 6 weeks late

So for some reason I decided to go back and re-watch one of Rives' videos back from our week-one folder. I can't say that I expected the mild obsession that over-took me though, without barely realizing it, I found myself watching every single one of the video's posted on blackboard, not to mention the rest of his season, "Ironic Iconic America" which I found online (and no Bar Refaeli was not the ONLY reason I watched lol). I was absolutely mesmerized by his ability to use the same words that you and I use everyday, to transcend the normal mode in which we speak and create such an entertaining art-form. In some of the videos I was more impressed by the ways in which he manipulated the words to rhyme and flow, whereas in other sketches I was more taken aback by his ability to formulate such a powerful message. In a way, Rives' videos have made me more excited about writing, in a way that I can't always say I am. Clearly the ways he uses language in his poetry jams and sketches are entirely different from how I formulate language in say a paper, but the 'art' of using rhetoric to convince or entertain still remains consistent. It is the ability to transform simple words into such a powerful and impressive presentation, an ability which Rives most certainly has, that makes language so interesting to me.

3 comments:

  1. I think Rives is so special and moving because he has a talent for voice. Just like a singer, his words said aloud and his movements are make the words just that more beautiful. His tone is perfect for everything he says, and like you, I find myself going onto youtube, watching every one of his poems.

    ReplyDelete
  2. This comment has been removed by the author.

    ReplyDelete
  3. There are so many interesting things going on now-- because of the internet and other technologies, I think? It is like we are rediscovering the human voice and how powerful it is. Rives is my favorite example because of how he plays with language. Last night I heard David Sedaris read some of his stories--totally different from Rives in some ways, but both drew me in at first because of their voices.

    ReplyDelete