Monday, August 30, 2010

Is it rhetoric or is it pleasing my teacher?

In school, it is no secret that the great majority of a student's writing endeavors are for the purpose of earning a high grade on any given assignment.  It also true, that most if not all students have multiple professors for which they must write and submit essays to, for grading.  So in lies the question, is there a certain rhetorically appealing style that one can couple with a good understanding of any material, to produce a universally "well graded" paper, or is each professor looking for some unique set of criteria?  It is a fundamental problem not only from a student's point of view, but also for those of which the responsibility lies on, to teach effective writing.  While no definitive answer may exist, I believe that it is possible to master the uses of rhetoric to the point that, an essay can be universally regarded as exemplary, or at least well liked.  Both the, "My teacher hates me.." and, "The Rhetorical Stance" articles seem to offer an agreeing opinion as to the comprehensive qualities of good academic writing.  Each stresses particular focus on the purpose, the audience, and the voice of the author.  While surely an easier route might be to write to the individual nuances of a certain professor's likings, an aim towards the three aspects stressed earlier are what set great writing apart. 
           Perhaps the most interesting and helpful notion found in, "The Rhetorical Stance" was the idea that a writer must not only lay out an argument of fact and persuasion, but must engage the audience in the actual process of thinking and feeling it through.  Analyzing some of my past writings, I can surely see where I was short of accomplishing this and am excited to utilizing this concept in my future writings.

1 comment:

  1. I think that the audience is so important when writing anything. As a student speech consultant at the speech center, I focus a lot on the idea of audience with my clients. While writing for oral purposes is different than writing a paper or novel, both require relating to others, which is why I believe that considering your audience is so vital

    ReplyDelete